Maturita z ANJ
MATURITA (the school part – level B2)
WRITING (time: 120 minutes, number of words min 200 – max 250)
- Formal letter/ email (an application/ a complaint)
- Dear Sir or Madam … Yours Faithfully
- Dear Mr Smith… Yours Sincerely
- Formal language AND phrases (I look forward to hearing from you/ to your answer)
- Full forms (no contractions)
- Narration (semi-formal – an article to a school magazine)
- Use of various tenses: past simple, past continuous, past perfect (used to)
- Language corresponding with the topic
- Essay for and against (e.g. Should PE be optional at school? Changing shoes at school? Yes or no?)
- Paragraphs (4)
- 1st – Introduction: Use the given topic to introduce what you are going to write about.
- 2nd – Arguments FOR: In the first place.., I think.., I (strongly) believe.., I am convinced, first/ly, second/ly…
- 3rd – Arguments AGAINST: However.., On the other hand.., In spite of, But..
- 4th – Conclusion: To sum up.., In conclusion.., All in all.., I think/ believe/ am sure that.., Finally.. + expressing own opinion + why
In general, do not use abbreviations (BTW, ASAP…) and informal expressions (GONNA, CAUSE..)!
PICTURES – compare, contrast and speculate
- Picture was taken in the particular situation – PRESENT CONTINOUS
- PREPOSITIONS: in the picture
- In the foreground/ background THERE IS/ARE
- On the left/ right
- In the centre
- NECESSARY to talk about BOTH PICTURES ALL THE TIME (what is same, different and speculations) – NO DESCRIPTION of each picture at a time!
- SPECULATING: They might have come or arrived by car or by coach or by plane.
They might have little money so they are staying in a camp, making their own meals.
OR they might be well off, so they have paid for an al-inclusive hotel service.
FOR MORE DETAILS, look at these 3 formats in WB Intermediate – WRITING BANK (122- 125). :-)